About Adam M. Soffer
Direct Dial: (952) 942-1073
Adam Soffer is a co-founder of Soffer Charbonnet Law Group and has been helping companies achieve their legal and business goals for over 20 years. Adam knows that understanding a client’s business is essential to determining and implementing the right solution to any client need. Adam draws from his extensive legal and business experience when counseling companies on strategic business and legal matters, ranging from complex transactions to day-to-day business operations.
Adam’s even-keeled approach and creative problem solving help business leaders make good decisions, in times of opportunity as well as crisis. Adam’s practice focuses in the areas of corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and venture capital, intellectual property and technology. Adam serves as general counsel to several leading technology-based companies as well as companies in traditional “bricks and mortar” businesses. Adam has extensive experience representing companies in numerous industries including software, telecommunications, medical technology, food and manufacturing.
Prior to co-founding Soffer Charbonnet Law Group, Adam practiced at a national law firm and a major Minneapolis law firm and served as in-house general counsel to a Minnesota-based telecommunications company. Adam received his law degree from William Mitchell College of Law (Cum Laude), his undergraduate degree in Business Administration from The George Washington University, and he also attended Villanova University. Adam has authored several articles and lectured on various business and technology issues.
- General Corporate Counsel
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Finance & Venture Capital
- Technology & Telecommunications
- Intellectual Property Transactions
- Trademark Registration & Protection
Representative Counsel & Transactions
General Corporate Counsel
- General corporate counsel to numerous companies, emerging businesses and their owners and investors; significant work with companies in the technology space, including software, telecommunications, and related segments; legal counsel and services provided through entire business life-cycle, from initial structuring and funding, to operations, and sale or merger.
- General corporate counsel to a regional telecommunications company providing local and long-distance phone and internet services; responsibilities include business planning and negotiating complex agreements, legal and regulatory compliance, and litigation management.
- General corporate counsel to an international software company in the agricultural industry; responsibilities have included management of all corporate law functions, including Board governance and Shareholder relations, negotiate key transactions and documents, and litigation management.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Company counsel to the owners of a privately-held domestic defense industry
manufacturer in its $70M acquisition by a publicly-traded United Kingdom
defense industry manufacturer
- Company counsel to a publicly-held computer and business form printing
company in its $40M merger with a privately-held printing company
- Company counsel to venture capital-backed software company in its $16M
merger with a leading international agricultural products company.
- Company counsel to a multi-location restaurant business in the $15M sale of its
assets and real estate to an investor group.
- Company counsel to a privately-held graphic design and display company in the
$15M sale of its assets to an international advertising and marketing agency.
- Company counsel to a publicly-held on-line electronics retailer in the $10M asset
acquisition of its key supplier/distributor.
- Company counsel to an internet service provider and competitive local exchange
carrier (CLEC) in its $7M merger with a full-service telecommunications provider.
- Company counsel to a privately held laser technology firm in the $5M sale of its assets to a publicly traded company.
- Company counsel to a privately held on-line publisher in the $5M sale of its assets to a full-service publishing company.
Corporate Finance/Venture Capital
- Investor counsel to a venture capital firm in numerous equity and debt
investments in a broad range of technology-based emerging companies in the
software, medical and innovation industries, including investments qualifying for
the Minnesota Angel Investor Tax Credit Program.
- Company counsel to a national food manufacturer and distributor in its $7M
strategic debt and equity investment in a bio-tech research and development
- Company counsel to a recreational facilities and entertainment provider in a $6M
debt and equity financing by one of its strategic partners.
- Company counsel to an international software company in the agricultural industry in a $2.5M preferred stock sale to a key strategic investor.
- Corporate counsel to a Fortune 500 company in the negotiation of an enterprise-
wide $25M satellite communications network agreement.
- Corporate counsel to a leading manufacturer in the
negotiation of its enterprise-wide $5M software licensing agreement.
- Corporate counsel to a Fortune 500 company in the negotiation of an information
technology co-location and network security agreement.
- Counsel to multiple clients regarding the clearance and registration of federal trademarks.
- Counsel to multiple clients regarding the negotiation of various IP licensing agreements.
Selected Professional Activities
Minnesota Bar Association: Corporate Counsel, Business Law, Communications Law
and Practice Management and Marketing Sections
Minnesota Military Family Tribute – Secretary, pro bono legal counsel
WAMSO-Minnesota Orchestra Volunteers Association – pro bone legal counsel (former)
Eden Prairie (Minnesota) Chamber of Commerce – past member of the Business
America’s Carriers Telecommunications Association (ACTA) – past member of the Policy